Home, But Still Connected

Hi everyone. I hope you are staying safe and well during this time of uncertainty. Although I am sad my time in D.C. ended early, I am grateful for the time I did have and I have been enjoying more time with my family! Now, I am home researching and writing my thesis and learning remotely for our seminar.  Although this is a time of sadness and ambiguity for many, I will reflect on a few of my favorite things I have done during quarantine (that I would not have been able to do in Washington!).

Almost as soon as Holy Cross students left campus, the Chaplain’s Office announced they would be holding a virtual retreat called “Communitas.” The name comes from a St. Ignatius of Loyola quote (because who else do we quote at Holy Cross) describing “communitas ad dispersam” or “a community in dispersion.” Each Sunday night, we meet in small groups for about 90 minutes to reflect on two talks that were shared that week from leaders. It has been an excellent opportunity to process everything that is happening and still feel connected to the Holy Cross community.

Two of my sisters and I on a walk at a local beach (it was chilly!)

I have also enjoyed spending more time with my family, especially my sisters. I am lucky to live by the beach, so whenever we can we take walks to exercise and get out of the house (safely!). I’ve also enjoyed running more especially as the weather gets nicer and enjoying the beauty of my home town.

A photo of a beach near my house that I took on a run!

Although this is not what I had planned for my semester, I am still blown away by the support I have found in the Holy Cross community. Just last night during our American Public Policy seminar (now held via Zoom) my classmates and I were able to meet and talk to Jon Favreau ’03, who was President Obama’s chief speechwriter until 2013. He shared so much about his time and experience in Washington and was a great resource for all of us!

If you are an accepted student, be sure to check out our Open House this Sunday, April 19. In the meantime, stay safe and well!