Moving into Washington, DC

Hi everyone! I hope you all enjoyed a restful winter break. I write this week from Washington, DC (actually Arlington, VA, but close enough) as I am studying away this semester with Holy Cross’ Washington Semester Program. I have been preparing for over a year and I am so happy to finally be here!

A view of the Hall of Nations at the Kennedy Center

Two weeks ago, I started work as the education intern for the Washington National Opera at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Being able to work in such a beautiful building and national landmark is a dream come true, not to mention the proximity to world-class artists and performers.

There are 21 other interns at the Kennedy Center, spread out in various departments, and we meet once weekly for an arts management class and to work on our semester-long project. We are placed in groups and complete a gap analysis for the Kennedy Center — on our last class, we pitch a new program or initiative to a team of executives (just like Shark Tank). My group and I work really well together and I am excited to see work with them on a new KC program.

I work primarily at the Kennedy Center, but I am also able to spend time at the WNO rehearsal spaces in Takoma and office space at the Watergate (yes, THAT Watergate). In addition to my education colleagues at the Kennedy Center, I have been so welcomed by the team at WNO and I am excited and honored to work with them throughout the semester. I have never seen an opera before, let alone met most of its company, and I am so grateful for this unique opportunity to work behind the scenes with some of the nation’s best performing artists.

Check back in soon to hear about some DC exploring (and a visit from my mom)!