Red Sox, Working for Worcester, and Music Events!

Hi everyone! Hope you are surviving the unseasonable cold that has struck Mt. St. James and that spring comes back soon! I’ve been pretty busy the past couple weeks, making it to a Red Sox game, Working for Worcester, and looking forward to a bunch of music opportunities!

This past Friday my friends and I took the commuter rail into Boston to see a Red Sox game at Fenway Park! It was the first time I had been in a while, and some of my friends’ first time in general. Although our seats got pretty chilly, we enjoyed watching the Red Sox beat the Orioles 8-3 (except for my roommate, Elena, who will always root for the Orioles).

My friends and I at Fenway Park! (notice Elena’s Orioles gear)

Yesterday, I volunteered with Working for Worcester, an organization looking to benefit the Worcester community through acts of service. Started by two Holy Cross students in 2012, Working for Worcester has a build day every year, where members of the community, including students at local colleges, families, and government officials, all help out to improve different areas in Worcester.  My group, lead by one of my friends from spring break immersion, helped clean up a local park. My friend Ian (a Worcester native) lead a group at a local elementary school, where they helped refinish an outdoor basketball court. Take a look at this before and after shot–great job, guys!

These next couple weeks I have a lot of work to do as we close out the semester, including a variety of musical opportunities. On April 25, the Chamber Orchestra is playing a concert with the artist-in-residence Jan Müller-Szeraws, an incredibly gifted cellist and musician who will be playing the Saint-Saens cello concerto. We also have a guest clinician, Dr. Heidel, coming to work with the concert band before our concert on April 29. It is sure to be an exciting couple of weeks musically!

Check back in soon to hear about more updates from Holy Cross!